Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A Successful Day by Jaye Lewis

Hello friends,

Today has been a successful day. I was able to walk over a mile on my treadmill. It took longer than it used to, but my feet held out, and my blood glucose meter showed me my results. My blood sugar lowered to 98! Yesterday, my blood sugar lowered to 99. So, in spite of having to be on two diabetes pills, exercise is still essential. I’m so grateful.

The wonderful thing about my walk, on the treadmill, is the music that moves my feet, my heart, and my soul. It’s my worship CD. Every song is Scripture based, and the music is soothing and inspirational. After five years, I still never get tired of those same songs that say so much about my relationship with God. I have missed my worship walk, and I know now, how important that walk is to me.

I still have the neuropathy in my feet. So, I have to be creative. When my Celebrex, for my arthritis first goes into my system, pain pretty much is controlled. Then I have my two Metanx, my Lyrica, and my Lamotrigine (Lamictal), which work on the nerves. They are a blessing. Then, right before I get on the treadmill, I take two Fast Release Tylenol, which dumps a mild pain-killer into my system in fifteen minutes. Well, that’s half-way into my walk. I can’t tell you that I’m pain free, but I can promise that I am pain managed. That is so important.

I’ve discovered that it is essential to get nose to nose (figuratively) with my doctor, when things are not going right. It is also important to research your disease. You cannot know too much about diabetes. Please avoid “sure cure” sites. They are so unhelpful. Just today, I received an email from a woman who wanted nothing more than to introduce me to her “sure cure,” and she would be so happy to lead me through the process and empty my bank account. I deleted the message. If we stay informed and establish a relationship with our doctor we will be able to manage our disease.


I thought that you might like to know about the diabetic foods that I have grown to love. Here they are.

Dreamfields Pasta. This is a yum-yum. Tastes just like ordinary pasta, because it is ordinary pasta, with one main difference: high protein and fiber. It really helps to be able to eat normally.

FarmBest brand probiotic yogurt. Sweetened with Aspartame, it is a real treat for a low glycemic diet. I can’t tolerate Splenda, although I began my food control with it, successfully. If you find that you can tolerate it, then I would urge you to try the many delicious products that use Splenda (sucralose) as sweetening, puddings, chocolate milk, yogurt, and a plethora of other yummy products.

Agave. This yummy, perfectly natural sweet syrup comes to us from the Agave plant. Our favorite brand is Wholesome Organic Raw Agave. It comes in dark and light, and it can be found in a good sized health food store. Agave has a very low inulin response, which helps us to control our blood sugar. Also check with your local grocery store. They may have Agave in another brand name or they might be willing to order it for you. We use light Agave at the table, to drizzle on toast. The dark, which tastes a little like light molasses is wonderful in puddings, pies, and some baked goods.

Hershey’s cocoa. Wow! I bet you are surprised with this. However, this is how I make sugar free cocoa.

Recipe: Pour 1/3 cup Instant Non-Fat Dry milk into bottom of cup, along with a heaping teaspoon of powdered cocoa. Stir.

Slowly add 1/3 cup evaporated milk, while stirring, until it becomes a thin paste and all lumps are gone.

Next slowly stir boiling water, into the cup leaving room at the top for adjustment of ingredients (I always like to add more evaporated milk), until all ingredients are combined.

Add 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla and 2 packs of your favorite sweetener.

I love hot cocoa on a crisp fall day, after coming in from raking a pile of leaves. Makes me feel warm and toasty.

So, now my friends, don’t be discouraged . It’s not easy, and I know it. I have no idea where I will be in six months. Will I be slim, or at least slimmer? I don’t know. Will my diabetes be controlled? I don’t know that either. But movement forward is the key. If we move forward, with our eyes not on ourselves, I think we can make it, successfully, to the finish line.

Father in Heaven. Thank You for giving us life. Help us to understand that our bodies are temples, and that we must take care of ourselves, especially when it is hard. Forgive us for the despair, fear, and defeat that we often feel. Grant us the grace to place our trust in You.

With love,
Jaye Lewis
www.entertainingangels.org
www.jayelewisliliesofthefields.blogspot.com
www.entertainingangelsencouragingwords.blogspot.com