Wednesday, August 19, 2009

A New Day by Jaye Lewis


Hello friends,

Today is the first full day on my new diabetes medication. My doctor had given me a sample pack, to see how my body would react. You see, when it comes to medications, I am a puker. I’m a lot like our big old mutt, Jessie Boy. My forehead gets a bit concerned. I feel saliva beginning to gather around the edges of my mouth. I stretch my lips into a ghastly smile…then…yak-yak-yak-yak-yak! So today it’s good-by Byetta and hello Januvia!

Byetta is a successful medication for about 66% of those who have been introduced to it. I believe that under different conditions than mine, it is a good medicine, and well worth the research that went into it. However, for me, and about a third of others, it was just not a choice that fit.

First of all, Byetta, in the words of their pamphlet, “slows gastric emptying, there-by reducing the rate at which meal derived glucose appears in the circulation.” Translated, that means food stays in your stomach 4EVER! Okay, probably about four hours, at least that was how it was for me. I was nauseous all the time; my acid reflux was over the roof; and, at night, I was aspirating my food. Nothing like breathing in a plate of spaghetti!

That is only for starters. My next biggest problem is that I am on a LOT of medication; for my heart, for neurological issues, for asthma, for arthritis, and for fibromyalgia. I’m sure I left something out, but you get my point. So, what do you think happens to medications when one is on Byetta? They go into the stomach and they stay there 4EVER! Medicine that is fast releasing doesn’t have a chance. All my other medicines were ineffective at best. Switching around my medications did nothing to alleviate my situation.

My pain levels hit the roof. I could barely walk, I had migraines constantly, and I threw up, nearly every day. To quote a sentence from my journal: “I had ‘this-this-and this’ for breakfast, and I vomited for lunch.” True entry, minus the “this-s.” For someone who tries not to dwell on food, all I thought about WAS food, especially the food that was gurgling around in my digestive tract.

The Byetta injections were not a problem. It’s true, since I do go on prednisone from time to time for my asthma, I bruise. Large bruises. And, I bleed. A lot. Yet still I learned to inject myself, and most of the time I had no ill effects. So, if your main concern is to control your insulin levels AND control your appetite, I would certainly discuss Byetta with your doctor.

Now, off with the old, and on with the new. I am now on Januvia, which is a pill, taken once a day. The rest is up to me. Eating healthy and exercise. For me, that means my treadmill.

I’ve missed my treadmill. It’s been a long time. I have diabetic neuropathy in my feet, and sometimes it is like walking on cactus; while other times it is what I call streaking pains in my lower legs and feet; then others, like having a horrible sunburn. I’m on several medications for that, and they are working.

So, today is the day that I begin anew. It’s like taking an old ball gown out of its wrappings, hoping that it will still fit. It’s like any good thing that time and circumstance has allowed to slip away from you; like a long-lost friend with whom you are reunited. So, have a wonderful day, my friends. There’s an old friend awaiting me, and I’ve miles to walk again.

With love,
Jaye Lewis
http://www.entertainingangels.org/
http://www.entertainingangelsencouragingwords.blogspot.com/
http://www.jayelewisdiabetesdiary.com/